Museums and Monuments

A few weeks ago, I finally made it to the nation's capital. I had all kinds of ideas about what it might be like from movies I had seen and from talking to others, but as in usual fashion, the Lord surprised me in the way in which He met me there. 

I went to Washington DC to visit my friend, whom I had originally met at the library and whom I had remained friends with through letters, Zoom Bible studies, and getting together when she came back into town.

Throughout the weekend we rode the metro, visited museums, saw many important buildings like the Capitol and Library of Congress, went to the Kennedy Center for a show, walked around Georgetown and the Tidal Basin, ate at some local places, glimpsed the White House, and even saw some snow! It was a lot of fun seeing the sights and having a personal tour guide as well as catching up with my friend!

As we took in the sights, I couldn't help but think about the rich heritage that surrounded us. Each monument uniquely highlighted the lives that had gone before us and the sacrifices that had been made. They were reflections of the people and events that had made our country strong and prosperous and it humbled me to stand among so many years of history. While I did immensely enjoy all the famous landmarks, I think the thing that surprised me the most was visiting the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. Somewhere between seeing the original flag and the lyrics to the Star-Spangled Banner etched across time and visiting the pop culture display that had carefully curated America through the decades, the Holy Spirit told me to take note. The entertainment section was filled with everything from Star Wars to Hamilton, Dorothy's red slippers to Michelle Kwan's ice skates, and a variety of relics like old-fashioned baseball mitts, iconic lunchboxes, and music from every decade.

While it all was fascinating, there were a couple of displays that made a significant impression. One of those was the Star Wars exhibit. I of course loved seeing R2-D2 and CP3O, but it was the description about its origin that really spoke volumes to me. The display shared the story of how George Lucas created his "galaxy far-far away" in response to a nation that was reeling over Vietnam and the President Nixon situation. The words read, “George Lucas offered a tale set in a ‘galaxy far, far away’ where a struggling republic was fighting for survival. The saga’s motley heroes—a Jedi farm boy, a princess, a pirate, and a Wookie pilot, even droids—inspired hope and raised an enduring question: How can we build a virtuous republic?"

Another iconic tale just feet away also talked about how it was shaped by the state and morale of the nation. As I stared at Dorothy's slippers from The Wizard of Oz, I was reminded that this tale had met audiences amid an economic depression and the prospect of a second world war. Frank Baum’s young Kansas heroine embodied bravery and helped Americans discover what truly mattered in the middle of some tough times. This display talked about the way "her [Dorothy's] story resonated with audiences facing what felt like nearly insurmountable challenges of their own."

As we explored these displays and many more, it led to a conversation that is still rolling around in my heart. My friend and I discussed how interesting it was that the feelings and current events of the nation throughout history dictated what its art and entertainment looked like at that time. Like with Luke Skywalker or Dorothy, the art produced was in response to what was happening in the world.


This prompted a few thoughts. First, what are the stories and entertainment of our time right now going to tell future generations about our society? What can we as Christ-followers do to change that portrayal for good? And what specifically has the Lord gifted me with that will speak His light and love into a generation that seems so lost, so confused and so offended? 

We may not have paintings hanging in a gallery or be involved in producing something that will speak to the masses, but our lives are saying something. In the same way that caring for others, turning the other cheek, and serving those in need speak to those in our lives, our self-centered attitudes, unsympathetic hearts, and lukewarm responses also speak volumes. Every day we have the opportunity to add values of love, mercy, compassion, light, integrity, joy, peace, patience, kindness and so much more into this broken world. But we also can add anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, hopelessness, doubt, fear, and shame. Whether we like it or not, we are a part of the brushstrokes that are making this generation's masterpiece, and I can’t help but wonder: do we like what we are creating?

As I reflected on these things, I felt the Holy Spirit say to me: The world needs your voice...it needs a purposeful light that points to the truth. You have something unique to add.

This truth stirred me in a fresh way, reminding me of the unique gifts I have been given and how much more I could be using them. But it's not just me. Our generation needs your voice too. It needs your talents, your personality, and your one-of-a-kind purpose to be fulfilled. It needs you to remember that you are a carrier of Christ's love even when you are having a bad day, have been wronged, or find it easier to go along with the current. This world needs you to be youthe you that God created for such a time as this.

Maybe that does look like creating something unique through art, media, or words. But maybe it looks like teaching something to the next generation, setting aside time to do something for someone else, stewarding the abundance God has given you, or finding that thing that your heart is passionate about and turning it into a Kingdom project. Perhaps it’s raising little ones in truth so that they can go out and add their light to the world, inviting the lonely, or saying yes to something beyond yourself. Maybe it is choosing to say no to what the world offers and living in a way that is counterculture. Maybe it’s speaking up in love when you hear lies of the enemy. Or maybe it is simply a daily attitude of surrender.

DC reminded me that each one of us adds something to this generation, to this world, and to this day. Whether it ends up in front of hundreds or is simply displaying God's glory to a few, Christ calls us not to sit on the sidelines and watch but to do our part. He calls us to use our time wisely. He calls us to add good things into our families, friendships, workplaces, cities, or wherever else He has placed us. After all, museums and monuments show us that time is fleeting. Let us seek to live lives that last beyond just today. Let us strive to say something worthy. And let's not let our generation fall on our watch.

-Only Hope

Mia, thank you for continuing to extend an invitation to me and for hosting me when I finally made it to DC. It was so neat to see a small part of your world, as well as so many cool sights. Your friendship has meant a lot to me and I am so grateful for all the many adventures we've been a part of together! And to my new friend April, hopefully, one day, we can laugh about being stuck overnight at the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport due to snow and ice. That will always be a part of the story. 














 

Comments