Page by Page: Letter to the Library


If I’ve learned anything working in libraries over the last nine years, it’s that stories are powerful. Stories shape us, they take us through seasons of growth, introduce us to treasured friends and challenge us to leave different than we came. Stories are made page by page and chapter by chapter and the only way to discover where they will lead is to keep reading.

The story of my life has recently taken a twist as I found myself at the end of a really good chapter. I turned the last page of my library career, at least for now, and I can’t help but reflect on the ways my time there shaped me and was a part of my own story.

As I traveled down memory lane, I realized that my library journey actually began in middle school when I was a library aide. The library for me then was a quiet place of refuge and a hideaway from the changing world around me. It was a place where I didn’t have to worry about popularity or what others thought. I could just be with the books!

Being a library aide continued into my high school years and again it was an oasis that I tucked myself away in, even when I didn’t have to be there. I remember discovering one of my favorite authors in that high school library, putting out the newspaper every morning (back when the news was still printed), and most of all the sweet librarians who poured into me and made high school just a little bit better.

While I didn’t immediately turn to a career in libraries, my love of being around books led me to pursue an English degree in college. It took a few unexpected plot twists along the way but eventually, the Lord led me back to the world of libraries-this time as a job. I started part-time as a “page” which in the library hierarchy means you shelve and alphabetize books. It’s not the most glamorous of jobs but it sets a solid foundation to build upon. I then moved to the technology department which consisted of providing a myriad of computer help including printing, faxes, scans, and more. My first full-time role came somewhat later and combined shelving and computer assistance and also added things like circulation and kid's programming. From there I moved to another library and focused on tween programming and began leading and being a part of bigger roles. I finally landed in the Adult Department which helped me engage in community events and take my skills to higher levels. From shelving to helping patrons, to planning programs-each position was a different adventure with its own unique set of challenges and rewards. All of it provided me with opportunities to sharpen and increase my skills and molded me into who I am today.

That journey by itself may seem insignificant, but God was using all my experiences at different libraries and in different roles to weave a masterpiece of undiscovered interests and hidden talents. I didn’t know I would enjoy graphic design but creating posters for events became a delight to me. I didn’t realize how much I loved event planning until I got to dream up library programs and be a part of some really awesome events. I would have never guessed that there was a leader within me until the opportunity arose and I got to do things that required me to step into that role. I surprised myself with my crafting abilities and uncovered a love for making creative videos. I found great joy in being able to help cultivate an environment of encouragement through the funsquad. And I got to meet the sweetest group of ladies at an independent living home through an outreach book group. These are the things that I look back on fondly, that I realize are purposes the Lord had for me to discover, and that added to my story in deep and meaningful ways.

And while I can see that now, I could have never known what the story would have ended up looking like on the first day. There were times I didn’t enjoy it. There were times I wanted to quit. And there were times when I couldn’t see anything beyond where I was at that moment. But I can also see that there are things that never would have happened or come into my life if I hadn’t persevered. Though I couldn’t always see it or sense it, God was at work in my life the whole time and He was intentionally leading me down the exact path He knew I would need to travel.

My brother recently reminded me that David in the Bible had a similar story of building his resume with some unusual experiences. A notable part of his story was that David was anointed to be the next king WHILE he was still working in the fields. His royal status didn’t happen right away but rather many years and trials later. But the calling came while he was still young and unprepared and years away from the great things he was going to do. That’s because God saw from the beginning what was going to happen in David’s life and He placed David exactly where he needed him to be in order to learn and experience the things that would ultimately help him in his calling as the next King. David’s journey reminds me that small moments don’t always make sense at the time but are working to lead us to an anointed place beyond the here and now. 

The library taught me to embrace the story, trust the Author, and dive into the pages that will take me on a journey that is greater than me. While it’s been bittersweet to say goodbye to something that was my life for so long, it is also exciting to look ahead to the new thing that God is doing. The best advice I can give myself and anyone else who finds themself in need of it is that nothing is a waste. We must remember that God knows where the story is headed and He is at work even when it doesn’t feel like it. He sees the first chapter and the last and knows exactly where to weave the story in between the two. Remind yourself that your days in the fields and fighting giants are leading to a crown of victory. It may take time. It may look different than expected. It may show you things about yourself that you never knew. But it is coming, sweetly and assuredly. Believe that what you see today isn’t the whole story. There is more to learn, more to experience, and more to write!

-Only Hope

To all the libraries that I’ve called mine and to all the friends that have been a part of that journey...
thank you from the bottom of my heart for being in my story.

-From talking Alabama football on the plaza, doing tech and theater stuff, and laughing at the titles in the mystery room…

-to princess events, cookies and coloring, stories under the stars, “the trick” and being a part of a small-town family…

-to my tweens and to my adults, to the funsquad, to jar jar binks and the bad movie club to Handmade with Holly and forest festivities of all types…my heart is full and overflowing.

I loved being able to be creative, to do fun things for patrons, to encourage my fellow co-workers, to put on a L’oscars, to make Holly’s Highlights and dress up for things, and to be able to record songs like “hold my ham” and “onion ring of fire”. I loved that the library led me to England and allowed me to meet and reunite with some of the best friends I’ve ever known. I loved doing photo shoots and being on tv and making fun posters. I loved getting to know special patrons who always made my day brighter, having some really awesome co-workers, and simply just being able to look up and be among books. Libraries will always be a part of me no matter where life takes me. And to those of you who have made my days brighter, laughed with me, encouraged me and so much more I am so glad to have met you. Here’s to all of you!

Comments

  1. Love you Holly! Beautiful message! God has such amazing plans for us. We just have to trust in Him. I really enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

      Delete

Post a Comment