Liam and Kentley



On September 30, 2022, at 7:44 am, I was awarded a title I had yet to hold before that moment. Born at 34 weeks, William Kent Parker Jr. "Liam" and Kentley Anne Parker graced our world with their presence and made me an Aunt. From the moment I saw their little faces, I was smitten. Being an Aunt was going to be sweet! 

For weeks leading up to their arrival, baby Liam had been on everyone’s radar. It seemed like he wasn’t getting the nutrients he needed to grow big and strong and the doctors had been watching him with a close eye. His mom was doing everything she could to help him and his sister go for as long as they could but a time came when they needed to be delivered for everyone's safety.


Liam was born first, followed less than a minute later by Kentley. Ironically both babies weighed the same–only 3 pounds and 13 ounces and immediately headed to the Nicu. My brother FaceTimed us on his phone a little later and we got our first glimpses of the tiny treasures. They were so little, but they were here and they were ours!

 

After only a day, the concern turned from brother to sister as Kentley took a trip to Children's Hospital due to an infected intestine. At just three days old, she underwent surgery and was put on antibiotics and fed through a pick line to try and help her intestines heal. She was the bravest little girl I knew and she let everyone know it. She was feisty and sassy and quickly earned the nickname "Queen Bee" from doctors at the hospital.

The first time I got to spend the whole day with Kentley was something special. I told her stories about how her grandparents met and about the day her dad was born. I told her silly things about her Aunt and explained that she has a puppy waiting for her at home and that she needed to get better because we had a lot of fun things to do like play and build forts and read books. And all the while she looked up at me with the sweetest most inquisitive expression as if she was really listening and taking it all in.

The first time I got to hold Liam, he had been home for two days. He had been thriving in the Nicu, taking his bottles, maintaining his temperature, and putting on a little weight. In a mask and gloves, I held my nephew for the first time and again couldn’t believe how small he was in my arms. He cooed and wiggled and held the interest of his dog, as well as everyone else in the room. Because he is a preemie, he has to take bottles more often and has a lot of catching up to do till he gets to his actual due date. But that doesn’t seem to stop him. Every day he does new things that marvel and astound us, especially considering he isn’t even supposed to be here yet.



Every time I visit Kentley at the hospital, I am so thankful for the kind medical team that takes care of her. I watch as the nurses change things and measure her and do all the things they have to do to her while machines beep in the background. Sweet little girl (while letting them know she isn’t happy) takes it all like a champ. My heart aches for all she is going through, and all her parents are going through, but I am thankful for all the feats she has overcome so far and the fact that we are not walking this journey alone. She is strong and brave and we are believing that if anyone can fight this, Kentley can.

While Kentley takes command of the room, Liam for the most part seems to be laid back and calm. But like his sister, he’s inquisitive too. He looks around the room and takes it all in as if he is trying to figure this strange new place out. He doesn’t seem to be bothered by his dog constantly checking in on him and he loves his bottle and paci and wearing cute clothes! He has lots of checkups and a lot of growing to do, but each day he makes progress. He is conquering so many firsts and eagerly awaits the day he can be rejoined by his little sister. He is trusting that he will get where he needs to be one baby step at a time.

We have made Kentley a window full of scriptures and notes in her room proclaiming the names and promises of God. We pray that even in the darkness of the trial Kentley would be a light to the nurses and doctors and to those that hear her story. She faithfully shows us each day how to walk through tough things and trusts that those taking care of her will get her to where she needs to be in the future. She is ministering to others and proving that trials are not the end. They may slow us down, but they do not have to keep us from hope tomorrow.



There’s a song called In Jesus Name (God of the Possible) by Katy Nichole that I affectionally call Kentley’s song. We play it over her and pray the words. Maybe they are words we all need sometimes.

 

The lyrics say:

I speak the name of Jesus over you

In your hurting, in your sorrow
I will ask my God to move
I speak the name 'cause it's all that I can do
In desperation, I'll seek Heaven
And pray this for you

I pray for your healing
That circumstances would change
I pray that the fear inside would flee in Jesus name
I pray that a breakthrough would happen today
I pray miracles over your life in Jesus name, in Jesus name
In the mighty name of Jesus, all things are possible

We may not be facing being born premature or fighting a sickness, but there are seasons we go through when we can’t always see to the other side. There are moments when we need the God of Possible to move. And there are times that we feel like life is too much. Liam and Kentley have taught me that no matter what the circumstances seem, no matter what you are facing and no matter what you see in the present, there is hope. They are teaching me to keep going and keep fighting. To be faithful and courageous in my battles like both of them. And to trust that the One taking care of me knows what I need and what is best for me in this season. Seeing everything these babies are going through encourages me that I have the strength to get through my challenges too. May they remind you today that you can make it to the other side of whatever you are walking through. With God, all things are possible.


-Only Hope


Will and Jaime, I know this isn’t how you pictured things. I know you’d choose differently, but you are doing a good job. I know you are tired and low on strength, but I also know you have more strength than you know. I’ve seen both of you walk through hard things before and you are capable of doing this. You are brave. You are lights to the world. You are doing the best thing a parent can do–loving your children unconditionally. Don’t give up. You will see the other side of this.



                    
Liam, you are such a sweet boy! I can’t get enough of you. Keep on growing so that you will be a strong man of God one day. I can’t wait to see what your personality is like in the days to come and the unique story God writes for you!


Kentley, you are so brave and I love your feisty spirit! Keep fighting sweet girl and know that a whole world of people can’t wait to hear the good news that you are home and well. God has big plans for you and I can’t wait to see how He uses you!

 


Thank you to Everyone that has checked on the twins, prayed for them, brought us meals, given us gift cards, supported us, and been there on this journey! It means more than you know and we are so appreciative of your love and kindness for our family. We are continuing to glorify God in this and pray for Liam to grow and Kentley to be healed in Jesus' Name. Please keep praying with us.

 

 

 

 


Comments

  1. Holly you are a great writer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about those tiny little miracles. They have so much love and support surrounding them, and have already shown they are survivors! Thank you for sharing Holly 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They truly are miracles and we are believing for the best! Appreciate your comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment