Once Upon Exeter


Rolling green moors, beautiful Cathedrals, riverside walks, fairy gardens, Exmouth coastlines, English cottages, and a lot of ice cream and laughter recently dotted the pages of my life as I traveled to Exeter this June. After three long years and a worldwide pandemic, I was finally back in England and ready for the adventure that would accompany it. And like all of my mission trips before, I eagerly awaited to see what stories would come; Exeter and the Lord did not disappoint.

One of my favorite things was trying to get a glance at the allusive fox who visited our host’s home most evenings. Our host, who was a lovely lady and that became a forever kind of friend, quickly told us of her fox and how she hoped we would be able to see him. She also told us that her grandkids sometimes got embarrassed when she asked for a take-away box at a restaurant for the fox. I immediately loved that story and knew that I would be sorely disappointed if I were to return home without seeing him. Finally, on the second to last night, a group of us saw him from the upstairs window. Amongst giggles and whispers, memories were formed and friendships were deepened. This was one of the many moments we had spent together that week and the fox represented the magic of all we had experienced.

Another memory tucked deep in my heart, is the moment that I looked up and saw friends from the last time I had been in England waving and excitedly yelling “hello” as we approached the church steps. Text messages, cards in the mail, swapping of birthday and Christmas presents, and countless facetime calls across the ocean had not only kept us in touch but had also kept us deeply a part of each other’s lives. We sat together in church and then spent a lovely afternoon walking by the quay (pronounced “key”), eating ice cream, and savoring just being together. Our time went too quickly as I knew it would, but I was grateful to have had even a few moments with them.

I also met a new friend and a precious soul while going door to door with my partner! She opened her door to us and then her home and eventually, I believe her heart. We quickly discovered that she had been through so much in her life. She was considered blind, she had lost her son a few years before and that very day had been told she was going to have to go on dialysis. We showed up at her door and in her life in the middle of all this and I don’t believe that was by accident. I believe when she needed hope, when she needed God–He sent us. We were able to talk with her several different times, including leading her to Christ and seeing her at the outreach event later in the week. On one of our visits with her, she said, “Every time I need something, you show up.” To which I replied, “Do you think perhaps God is trying to show you something?”

I also met several babies and their moms at the toddler group one morning, but one lady, in particular, comes to mind. She was there with a foster baby and as we talked further, I discovered she was trying to adopt this baby. She began to share that after being previously told she could adopt her, she was suddenly having to contend with relatives who had come into the picture and now wanted the baby. She wasn’t sure if she was going to be able to adopt the little one after all. All I could think to do was try and encourage her. I ended up talking to her again later and then on the way out told her that I was praying for her. It didn’t feel like a lot, but maybe she will look back on a really hard time in her life and see that God was there with her in the middle of it.

One family we really got to know while there was the Pastor’s family. I am still so encouraged by the way they opened their hearts and home to us. We went on different adventures in the 9-passenger van, able to see things that were only possible because they took the time to take us there. We ate dinner at their house, played Rummikub, made friends with their dog, and got to know this sweet family throughout the week. It was a privilege to watch the way God is using them to reach their community. 

I met another person on the street while going door to door. She didn’t live on our assigned road or even in the area, but somehow God orchestrated a chance meeting one afternoon. We talked with her a bit and invited her to the event and then she went on her way. It wasn’t till a few days later when I was walking across the church sanctuary now filled with face painters and games and a giant bouncy house that I heard someone call my name. I turned and there with a huge smile on her face was the girl we had met on the street corner. Later when she left, she gave me a hug and said, “I’m so glad I ran into you and that you invited me to this.” It was something so simple and yet to her, it was more.

These were just a few of the many things that happened that week. I could write much more and talk about each person individually, but there isn’t room. After returning home and journaling my memories and reflections, I kept pondering what it was I was supposed to write about after this trip. Thinking about all these stories I shared as well as others, it seemed obvious. I kept coming back to the idea of people. Every memory and every story ultimately pointed back not to things like riding past Stonehenge or fish and chips or the beach (even though those things were all incredibly amazing), but to the experiences and moments I had shared with others. At the same time, I was also reading Once Upon a Wadrobe by Patti Callahan, which is all about the power of stories and I knew it was more than a coincidence. The Holy Spirit was connecting the dots. It came in one line from C.S. Lewis’s character when he said: “Every human interaction is eternally important.”

And that’s when it hit me; like really hit me. 

The people strategically placed on my team, our host who opened her home up to us, the family who had traveled to see us, the lady who is now a sister in Christ, the ladies I met at toddler group and on the street, and the Pastor and his family and all the church members we met along the way were all more than just stories or memories. They were people who I had interacted with on purpose as part of a much bigger picture than I could ever begin to comprehend. Our time together and our interactions mattered. Each story is really a part of a much greater story. And that isn’t just true of England or of a mission trip. It’s true every single day in every single place we go.


Exeter taught me much, but perhaps the greatest thing is the reminder of being open and intentionally aware of the people and the interactions that God places in our lives. Not a single one is accidental. Not a single one can afford to slip through the cracks. It's important and people matter. And the time we spend with them has eternal ripples. We are already making a difference, the question is what kind of a difference? Look at the people and stories that make up your life and your days and know that they matter. You matter. And what you do speaks volumes into eternity.

-Only Hope



To the Team- Bethany, Brian, Dwain, Marc, Natalie, Phil, Robbie, Stephanie, Vicki, and Wyatt-
It was such an honor to spend this time with you, especially as we worked together to make a difference for the Kingdom. There were so many great memories and moments shared with every single one of you! And so much laughter. Thank you for all that you did and for making it an unforgettable week! I treasure our time together and I am thankful to have served alongside you! 

Sandra-Thank you so much for opening up your home to us girls. From the funny things you said to the places you took us, to the meals you made--it was all wonderful. You are one of a kind and I hope you know how much you mean to me. Tell the fox hello! 


Alistair, Wendy, Becky, Cousley Family, and so so many others at St.Thomas-
Thank you for all that you did for the team. You welcomed us, fed us, and let us into your hearts and lives. You are making a difference in Exeter and I'm so glad to have been a part of it! Praying for you all!

Prayer Partners- Thank you for covering us in prayer. It makes a huge difference and I am blessed to be able to call upon you!

And to My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ-Thank you for the opportunity and the experiences You provided. I'll keep going as long as You let me. You are what makes all things possible. I couldn't do any of this without You.














Comments