Mile High Faith: Adventures in Colorado



The Sovereign Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    He enables me to tread on the heights.
Habakkuk 3:19

     I think it was somewhere in route to the Denver Airport that I looked out the window at the Mile High City and knew that the rugged and majestic beauty of Colorado was not something that I would easily forget. And while it may have hit me at that moment as we were saying goodbye, the lessons I learned from Colorado actually started way before we ever left Alabama.

     We were wrapping up the trip's interest meeting several months prior to leaving when the words “altitude poisoning” came up in the conversation. A slow panic began to filter through my mind as I let that phrase settle. Apparently, you can get altitude sickness if you travel to a higher altitude and are not properly hydrated. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to go on the trip yet at that point and that little revelation had me temporarily wondering if maybe I shouldn’t. And yet, I couldn’t shake it. I couldn’t stop thinking about how interesting it was that you could get sick from being too high up if you were not intentional about keeping hydrated. I could feel that there was something the Holy Spirit wanted to do with that imagery.

     And Colorado was just the place to see what God was trying to show me firsthand through the analogy of staying saturated. While there, we helped serve The Local Church in Arvada by doing things like facility clean-up, serving and connecting with those in the community, and promoting the church and its services, but we also did some sightseeing. One simply cannot go to Colorado without seeing the mountains up close. In order to do this, we traveled by plane, mini-van, and even a gondola and made sure to continually fill up on water everywhere we went along the way. It took a lot of steps and transportation methods to get to the top, but looking out at such splendor and beauty made it all worth it. 

     There were a few times on the trip that I could tell that it felt harder to breathe and there were a couple of moments that I had a headache or felt a little dizzy. It was quickly remedied with ibuprofen and of course, water, but the struggle was real. I could see how someone climbing up the side of a mountain like Denali or Everest could be in real trouble if they didn’t prepare beforehand. It’s no wonder they must train and immerse themselves in full-out preparation before taking on a challenge like that.

     Similarly, we believers must also train and immerse ourselves in spiritual things before we go into battle with the challenges we face. We must steep ourselves in the right armor because just like with mountain climbers, it sometimes gets hard for believers to breathe when operating at a different altitude than that of the world, especially if we aren’t prepared for it. We breathe in all kinds of things every day that leave us panting with discontentment and a thirst for things that will never satisfy us. Culture constantly chases that mountain high feeling but fails to realize that going to the top of the mountain doesn't happen overnight or by accident.  It is achieved by taking intentional steps and putting in an effort. There are things that must be done in order to get to the top and that often means a surrendering of ourselves for a higher purpose. 

In Colorado, that meant drinking lots and lots of water to avoid that altitude discrepancy. In our everyday lives, it’s a matter of drinking the Living Water–of staying connected to the source so that we can function at our best capacity. Being a disciple of Jesus often elevates us above the things of this world, but if we aren’t filled up with the right things, we won’t be able to stay at that altitude without starting to feel a few side effects. Sometimes we try to straddle the things of this world while also seeking to live God’s way and we find ourselves breathing heavy and combating a sickness of the soul. All because we don’t know how to adjust our patterns. Seeking to be intentional about staying hydrated in God’s word and in His presence are the keys to being able to go higher. 

I journaled these words upon returning and I think they sum it up nicely: “This will sound cliché, but you can’t fully understand and appreciate the Rocky Mountains until you are there, standing in front of them and gazing upon their glory with your own eyes. And I think the same can be said of God. You have to be standing in His majestic presence to truly understand the magnitude of His beauty.”


     I shouldn’t need a mountain to remind me that spending time in God’s presence is more than just life-giving, it is life-changing. And I shouldn’t need something like altitude poisoning to show me that staying hydrated with the right things makes a huge difference. But the truth is I sometimes forget to simply be in the presence of God. To breathe Him in and soak His refreshing spirit into all areas of my life. Simply put, if I want to go to high places, I have to prepare beforehand. Colorado taught me many things, but perhaps the greatest is that beauty begins with surrender.

-Only Hope

                                ***************************************************



To the team-So many laughs! I still wake every once in a while and wish I was in Colorado heading out in our van to Hunter Bay and whatever adventures await us for the day. What a refreshing week for my soul and what an honor to work alongside you guys.

Where to even start? From the Flatirons in Boulder and Hotel Boulderado (such a lovely place) to seeing Red Rocks, riding to the top of Keystone in a gondola and seeing the infamous Breck, to visiting Sapphire Point (twice), to trying schnitzels, bizarre shrimp tacos and teaching some kids that Alabama is in fact in North America, to Beaujo’s Pizza, a rocky take-off in Denver and most importantly making an impact for Jesus in Arvada, it was a trip to remember. I am so very thankful to have spent that time with each of you as well as for the things you taught me and the joy you provided. It’s so exciting to be a part of helping a new church plant seeds and I can’t wait to see the ways the Lord breathes on it. Let’s go again sometime, okay? ;)

Also, I’m not sure how this happened but I think I somehow became the trip moocher as every single person at one point either paid for a meal for me, shared food, or something along those lines. (French Toast, Tacos, Cookies, Crepes, Pizza, Newks, and dessert all come to mind) You guys didn’t know it but this was a major blessing because I had paid quite a lot extra to be on the trip as I was not an official HS member. So truly, thank you!!!!


P.S. There are roughly 71 doors and 101 wheels at my house. Just thought you should know.

 

Justin-You, inspire me! I love your vision and heart and how you are out there winning souls and changing lives in the name of Jesus! Thank you for letting us be a part of the beginning of the Local Church story and welcoming us to your city! Arvada was really neat and so beautiful! I can’t wait to see what happens from here! Praying for you and the church. 

 

“2 Sugars” Jerry-You got the trip kicked off with a bang by earning that nickname! I love the way that you would say something witty and funny out of nowhere and bring a smile to the conversation. And of course, I am thankful for the hand sanitizer after the lizard sign in the bathroom at Sapphire Point. After hearing your testimony, I was reminded that even despite the worst circumstances, the strength of the Lord sees us through all things! You are living proof! Thanks for being faithful and obedient in that.

Tyler-You will always be my door hanger partner-in-crime! Thanks for navigating us and taking the lead on that. You did an awesome job! And you also semi-saved me from sliding down Sapphire Point which is much appreciated! Thank you for always being so nice and taking the time to stop and talk to me whenever you see me. I’m also thankful for our deep talks while canvassing and your insight into spiritual things that we are both navigating through with those in our life. We also had some good laughs and “me too” moments. I enjoyed getting to know you better and making a new friend! 

 

Derrick- I was glad to have you on my row in the van. We rocked the middle seats! Also, you should know that I don’t think I will ever go into a restaurant the same way again. You taught me so much about simply valuing the server and how to order (even if I might not order the same things as everybody else). And you found us some good eats along the way! You cracked me up when you practically chased the waitress into the kitchen over dessert and when you asked Jerry if he had any alcohol…rubbing alcohol you quickly clarified. Good times.

Chris- I honestly can’t think about you without giggling just a little. There are at least ten different things you said that still have me laughing. And to meet someone else with the jaw surgery connection is pretty cool. (Well not that you had to go through it, but that we can relate) On a serious note, you and Brandy modeled a life of generosity like hardly anyone I’ve seen before! You guys definitely impacted me more than you know. Thanks for all the laughs, for spending your 39th with us, and for enlightening us about grizzly bears vs gorillas. Team grizzly bear all the way!

 

Brandy- I love your sense of humor and the way you really invest in the things and people around you. I’m so grateful that you were on the trip, and that through it, we discovered a shared love of tv shows, party planning, and style secrets! Thanks for being my “go-to” anytime I had a question. You made our adventures so fun and helped keep us all organized and on track. I mentioned this in Chris’s note, but I wanted to tell you as well that you guys really modeled generosity on the next level and taught me more than you could know. I am definitely better for having met you and I’m so glad to have a new friend! Can’t wait for Downton!

 

Brock- You lead us like a champion…no, like a Brock-star! How fortunate we were to have you on this trip as our own personal Coloradoan guide. Your spirit and zeal for life are so contagious. And I still think it’s way cool that you are on a radio show, among the many other awesome things you have done. I also wish I had your people skills. You have a way of uplifting everybody you come across without even trying. Thank you for everything you did organizing the trip and for continually bringing a smile to my face. Your jokes had me laughing non-stop! And thank you for helping us see as many cool things as we could in our free time! It wouldn’t have been the same without you! Go Broncos!


Comments