Walk As Far As You Can See: Lessons From Highlands College

“Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Psalm 119:105
           For the first time in two years, I did not go to class on a Tuesday night. It was strange to think that as Highlands College students gathered together for the start of a new semester, I wasn’t there. Don’t get me wrong; I was glad not to have to write papers or study for a test or juggle work and school, but something inside me felt off. In my new-found freedom, a sense of sorrow lingered behind.
             I looked sheepishly at my friend and confessed. “I’m kind of missing not having class.”
            My friend raised an eyebrow in my direction. “You’re sad about not going to school?”
            I nodded. “Yes, I know. I’m kind of a nerd.”
            But if I’m being honest, it is more than that. Highlands College was the adventure I had not intended taking until God stirred my heart to want more. To trust Him more. To look beyond what I was supposed to be doing and into what He was calling me to do. It was the catalyst that had given me wings to be able to do things I never thought possible. And it was the one thing every week that lifted me and spoke into me like nothing else. To put it simply, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I think my classmate Kelly Davis said it best when she said, it now feels like there is a void.
  As I thought about this recently, the Holy Spirit tugged.
            Write about it.
            I wasn’t convinced. I wanted to share the things that had shaped me and inspired me and taught me how to be a next-level leader and encourager, but would anyone else get anything out of it?
  “God, I’m not really sure people want to read about that.”
            His response: Use it. Share what you learned.
           So here goes. I could probably write much more than any of you would want to read about the things God taught me during my time in my classes, but I’ll just skip to the end because that is where things got interesting. As Highlands College drew to a close, my thoughts began to focus on what the future held. It began to feel like crunch time. I was navigating not getting my hopes up with trying to remain expectant of God’s ability at the same time. I had expressed to myself and to others and even to God that I felt a pull towards ministry and even though the dream remained, I was unsure of what that was going to mean or how long it would take to get there. 
 My thoughts bombarded my heart like tiny darts.
What would next semester look like? And the one after that? Would the door open quickly or would there be a wilderness before the Promised Land? Would my dreams even end up looking anything like I thought they would or would God step in and define them in a completely different way? And maybe the ministry He had in mind for me wasn’t the type you get paid for, but rather the kind you do where you are already planted. 
I was contemplating these things for what felt like the one-hundredth time when my teacher, Coach Tim Spurlock, ended class with something that caught my attention.
Take the lantern and walk as far as you can see.
He paused for effect and I found myself hanging on his every word.
He said it again. Take the lantern and walk as far as you can see.
I watched as Coach Tim pretended to hold up a lantern and take a step, and then another, and another. I imagined the light of the lantern stretching just far enough to see what was right in front of him at that moment. As I was visualizing his lesson, he added:
Each step will illuminate the next step.
The truth surrounded my heart like a flood. I was never going to see the whole picture right away. I had to be willing to let it be painted stroke by stroke or step by step. It is only when we take a step that the next one be revealed. When we move forward, the light of the lantern will reach ahead of us and bring to light the things we need to see in that season. 
I’m not sure what answers you need right now or what unknown stretches out before you at this moment. But I know this; it won’t happen if we don’t exercise faith. If we don’t lean into Jesus and ask Him, the light of the world, to be our lantern. To illuminate the path. And we have to be willing to say yes to where He is calling us. To being diligent, step by step, as the path unfolds. 
I came across another statement that speaks to trusting God with the unknown. It said this:
1) God loves me enough to want the best for me.
2) He is wise enough to know what’s best for me.
3) He is powerful enough to get the best for me.
(from Barry St. Clair and Bill Jones)
I keep repeating that phrase to myself every time the enemy comes against me. Every time my mind demands an answer. Every time things are not going like I hoped. And every time I feel like things are never going to change.
And things have not been solved overnight, but the reminder that God is sovereign over all the details of my life has brought freedom. Freedom to trust that He will make sense of it in His time. And a reminder that He is at work even when we can’t see it (Leeland, Waymaker).
So don’t give up. And don’t get discouraged. Even when you find yourself in a season that requires you to move into the unknown. God can make a way. And He is the light that makes the darkness tremble. Hold up the lantern and watch all the places the light touches. And then take a step.
-Only Hope
20 Leadership Principles From Highlands College
1. Live with Integrity. (Steve Blair)
Make sure you choose to live with integrity in everything you do. People are watching.
2. Lead Up. (Coach Tim Spurlock) 
Even if you are not the leader, you have the potential to influence those who do lead.
3. See what could be, not what is. (Matt Minor) 
When you look at a situation or a person, call out what could be instead of just focusing on what is currently happening.
4. Attitude determines altitude. (John Maxwell)
Your attitude determines how far you will go.
5. Be the thermostat and not the thermometer. (Chris Hanna)
If you are a thermometer you rise and fall based on outside factors, but if you are the thermostat, you set the temperature of the environment.
6. Make the most of every environment you walk into. (Rusty Dorr)
Every time you are involved with a team or project, lift it up and make it better.
7. Walk with people in tough times. (Matt Minor)
Be there for others and help them walk through tough times. See it through to the end.
8. Get better. (Katy Hodges)
Continually strive to learn and grow and become a better version of yourself.
9. Steward what God has given you well and recognize the mantle you carry. (Casey Floyd) 
Be responsible with what God has entrusted you with and recognize the influence you carry as a Christ-follower and leader. 
10. Have a spirit of excellence. (Chris Hodges)
Do everything to the best of your ability. 
11. Be intentional. (All of Highlands College)
12. Surround yourself with the right team. (Beth Cunningham)
Who you are around is important. Choose people wisely and guard who you allow to speak into you.
13. If leadership is bad, learn from it. When you are a leader, do it differently. (Kellen Coldriron)
14. Be a part of what God is already doing. (Chris Hanna)
Look for the ways God is already at work in you and around you and operate in that.
15. Don’t give up on your dreams even if it takes a long time. (Chris Hanna)
16. Everything speaks. (Kellen Coldiron)
 Everything we do says something to the world around us. 
17. God has given us gifts and time—it’s about what we do with them. (Chris Hanna)
18. Do not let “the lesson die with you”. (Kellen Coldiron)
19. Distinguish yourself. (Chris Hanna and Matt Minor) 
When people look at our lives do they know we’ve been with Jesus? Can they tell that there is a difference in you?
20. Mistakes are okay. Not trying is worse than failing. (Kellen Coldiron)

To Highlands College- Thank you to everybody who invested in me and was a part of the journey. I loved every minute of it! Pastor Chris Hodges, Mark Pettus, Scott Johnson, and the entire team, thank you for having this dream and turning it into a reality. I can only imagine the eternal impact HC is making. Chris Hanna, Steve Blair, Gina Cox, Rusty Dorr, Beth Cunningham, Katy Hodges, Kellen Coldiron, Casey Floyd, and Coach Tim Spurlock--thank you for being my teachers. Thank you for your wisdom, time and invaluable lessons each and every week. Thank you to Bill Golden who saw ministry potential in me way back when and planted a seed. Thank you, Pastor Matt Minor, Robby Bentley and Kenslea for helping me get the process started. Thank you to so, so many people who were apart of this adventure through prayers, texts, conversations and more. Special shout out to my buds Kelly and Riley! You guys are the best seatmates in the world. Thank you to work, in particular, Daniel and then April, who let me off early when the time changed halfway through. Thank you, Dad, Mom, and Will who have each given yourself to the ministry at different times and shown me how much reward that brings and for being there in the trenches with me as I walk out this calling. And to God Almighty who called the leader out of me in the first place, THANK YOU for taking ordinary, quiet people like me and doing something incredible with their lives. Thank you for calling me on this adventure. I can’t wait to see where the story goes. I’m believing what will be, not what is.
-HP

Comments

  1. Thank you for this post!!! And for being a light and letting God use you to advance his Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I really appreciate that and you. I enjoy our faith talks and the way we can be the light together through the squad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying and believing with you Holly as you hold that lantern high in front of you and trust God's light to illuminate the pathway He has staked out for you. Your thoughts are beautifully expressed in this post and God is using you to shed light and truth on all of us. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your encouragement and prayers and for always being there for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment