England Calling: God's Not Done Yet

If there is one thing God has been teaching me lately, it’s that I can trust that He is not sitting by idly watching, but is active and alive and in the details. Every time He has spoken to me recently, it’s been with the message to believe He’s not done yet and that I can trust Him. Fully and Completely.

I often get hung up on needing to know. I need to know what will happen or where it will lead or why things work out the way they do. And in my ever ceasing quest to know, God simply whispers trust. 


Trust Me to lead the way…to open the door…to make sense of it. Stop letting fear have control and give Me all the echoes of worry and uncertainty and walk freely in the knowledge that I AM.

That message once again surrounded me as the opportunity to be a part of a Go Team to Welwyn Garden City, England found its way into my life; only this time the platform of faith was much bigger. Every time I reflect on England a nostalgic slideshow reel of memories begins to play across my heart of the most amazing people and experiences. But one of the most powerful parts of the story was how I almost didn’t get to go on this adventure at all. I remember being  excited to see what new and fresh thing God was going to have waiting for me overseas. I never counted on Him bringing the lesson before the trip ever even got off the ground.

Things had somehow fallen into place quickly and unexpectedly. There was a team that would be going. Check. I was able to get time off from work. Check. The way things had fallen, I would only have to actually miss five days of work for the eleven days I would be gone and only one program. Double Check. I was a plane ticket purchase away from packing my suitcase and strolling down the streets of London. And then I got a message that said we needed to talk about the price of my plane ticket. My heart sank. Why would God open up the chance to go on this trip so effortlessly only to have a giant roadblock ultimately stand in the way?

Questions wrapped around disappointment as I found out the price of my ticket had jumped significantly in between the time the travel agent booked the rest of the team’s flight and mine. Unsure of what that meant for me and the trip, I sulked. Questions plagued my mind as I tried to figure out the answer. Did this mean I wasn’t supposed to be on the trip? Was the price of the ticket going to drop and I just had to wait it out? Was it a test to see if I would believe that God could work in the situation or was it just one more thing in my life that wasn’t going to go the way I hoped it would?



One night as I sought the Lord about what He wanted me to do, a supernatural love for Welwyn Garden City filled my heart. I felt connected to the city and the people and knew the timing was there and that I was supposed to go on the trip. I hated to point out the obvious to God, but I didn’t know what else to do. “Lord, having the desire to go and a love for the people does me no good if I can’t actually get over there. Please make the price of the ticket drop.”

And then I waited. Every day I prayed the same prayer, “Please...somehow...someway...let the price drop.”

As time marched forward and we drew closer to the day that I would have to decide to commit or let it go, God answered the prayer in a different way and I realized the prayer I should have been saying was not “change the price,” but rather “I trust You to make a way.” 

Despite my wavering belief, God beautifully sent people—friends and family and churches—into my life that made up the difference of the cost of my plane ticket almost exactly to how much the other members ticket’s had cost. It was not what I originally had in mind for a solution, but it ended up being far more powerful than if I had just written a check and never had to trust God to provide. I was overwhelmed by the generosity of those who helped me and was reminded that living on mission sometimes means extending love to those that are right next to you. And how incredible is it that not only I got to go and invest in the lives of those in England, but every single person who helped get me there had a hand in it too.

One day while in Welwyn Garden City we had the opportunity to do a radio podcast and I remember one of the team members talking about a disappointment they had as we were going door to door. I was able to respond to his story with a truth that we had learned from that experience as well as what God had been teaching me through the plane ticket. I told him, “Even when things look their bleakest, you never know what is going to happen. You never know how God is going to work.”

There were so many other amazing things that happened on the trip and  knowing that I might not have been there only increased the richness that my time there held. We were involved in so much from meeting people, to a movie night, BBQ’s, painting, fourth of July tables, watching soccer at the Chieftain Pub, going to London and fellowshipping with the amazing people of the Alliance Church. Everyday I got to do something I had never done before and I got to see God's hand in our work.

Everyone we met was incredible, but I have a particular fond spot for my host family and enjoyed getting to be a part of their lives and routines for a short time. One thing we did together every time we went somewhere in the car was sing worship songs. One that seemed to be our go to song was the classic by Casting Crowns called Who Am I. I hadn’t listened to in a while before the trip but was struck once again by the message within its lyrics.

You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling
And you've told me who I am
I am yours

Thousands of miles away from home, God spoke to me once again, reminding me that He is there. That He hears me calling and that I am His. It was evident in the people we met. It was there in the things He called me to do and in the areas He asked me to trust. And it was there in the things we experienced each step along the way. I remember after leaving the British Library and British Museum and walking the streets of London that I was in awe about how much had changed over the centuries and yet one thing remained. Weaved throughout the generations and withstanding time is a Sovereign Creator whose fingerprints are unmistakable in all of us. Hebrews 13:8 says it like this, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.”

I needed that reminder as I embarked on my journey overseas. I needed to remember that God is capable and present and that the unclear moments or setbacks do not mean He is absent. Maybe you need that message too.  Maybe you need to know God is there and that He sees your situation. My time in England did that for me, but you don’t have to travel to see God all around you. He is at work And He is not done yet.

On the flight from Dallas to London, the captain came over the intercom and said something that assured me of God’s presence. It was the thing my writing is all about and more than that, it’s the thing Jesus is all about in the Bible. The captain said, “Ladies and Gentleman, This is your pilot speaking. My name is Captain Hope.” 

And as I smiled and settled into my nine hour flight, I couldn’t help but think those words might as well have been from God Himself. He is there. He hears us. He is hope! 

-Only Hope

To the team—I am so glad God orchestrated us to work alongside each other and for all the many valuable lessons, laughs and leadership opportunities you provided me. I am so grateful to have met each of you! BAM, I wouldn’t have ever been on this trip without your prayers and friendship! Thank you! 

 To those in Welwyn Garden City—You will forever hold a special place in my heart. Thank you for opening up your homes and teaching me that love has no borders or oceans. I admire your stand for Christ in a country that has made it difficult to stand for Him. Each of you are so special to me and I will forever be grateful that God provided a way and that we are now one big British American family! 

To those who helped me get to England and who were praying for my journey-thank you so much! I felt those prayers and was so blessed to be able to go on the trip with the help of so many dear friends and family. Each of you are so very incredible and make my life full! Mom, Dad and Will, thanks for the airport welcome! I know I didn’t show it then, but I appreciated it and your thoughtfulness. More than that I appreciate the way you have always modeled serving and loving the Lord as a priority in life. 




And to God Almighty who never stops surprising me and working in my life, thank you for giving me this opportunity! You know the only problem now is that I want to go back, but I’m trusting that You will make a way. You always do and not just with this trip! I can’t wait to see the rest of the story...

Comments