Due Season


  It’s no secret that I’m a football kind of person. The game itself is a fun pastime and family tradition, but beyond that I love the lessons it continues to teach me season after season.         This story started in my heart on January 8, 2018 when Alabama’s quarterback Jalen Hurts struggled against the Georgia Bulldogs in the 2017 National Championship game. And by struggled I mean STRUGGLED! Have you ever had one of those days where even your best efforts were falling short? That’s the kind of night Jalen was experiencing. And then it got even worse. He was benched.

        Jalen Hurts watched from the sidelines as younger teammate Tua Tagovailoa took the field and led the Alabama Crimson Tide to something Jalen had not been able to do on that particular night. In a thrilling comeback, that was won in overtime, the Tide became the National Champions. It was the kind of game people will talk about for years and one that made Tua a legend, as well as the next season’s starting quarterback.
        Everyone basked in the glory—even Jalen. There was nothing but smiles and support for his younger teammate that night as Alabama found themselves on top of the college football world. That win made for a phenomenal night and a good ending to the 2017 football season, but it turns out the story was not quite finished.
        It was almost a year later, against that exact same team, that Jalen Hurts unexpectedly got a second chance. Jalen went in during the 2018 SEC Championship for an injured Tua and you guessed it; he led his team down the field and won the game. Two years. Two quarterbacks. Two miraculous victories. It was almost something you had to see to believe.
        I was beyond delighted with the win and proud for both guys for what they accomplished on and off the field, but like always the Holy Spirit stirred my heart to go deeper and look for more.
        I could not get the part about Jalen being benched only to be called upon a year later out of my head. Everyone thought he would transfer. People suggested it. And in a world where commitments don’t mean what they used too, it was refreshing to see a guy stay the course. Workout after workout. Game after game. Jalen prepared himself like he might play in the game, while knowing he would probably sit on the bench. He persevered, believing that the work would pay off eventually.
        I think I know why this story resonated with me so much. It was because I myself had recently felt the sting of being benched. I’d watched God call the leader out of me once again only to have to go back to the sidelines. Again. It felt unfair. It felt all too familiar. It felt hard to swallow.
        What was God doing I wondered?
        After watching the second game unfold, the one where Jalen got his moment, I knew I had a choice to make. Seeing how Jalen responded to his adversity inspired me. All season leading up to his comeback he had done one thing that had made all the difference—he prepared. He hadn’t let a bad attitude or bitterness take root; at least not in front of the cameras. He did not walk away, give up or give into the fact that someone else was doing what he knew he could do if only given the chance.
        He had been open and moldable and ready so that when his number was called he was able to step in without missing a beat and lead his team to victory. He made himself equipped for whatever was next by doing what he needed to do today. Beyond that, think about what Jalen would have missed out on if he had chosen to walk away when it got tough. He would have never gotten to see a different ending to the story. He would have never had the kind of victory you have when you make it to the other side of your mountain.
What a wonderful reminder that is for us. No matter what the score looks like at the moment, the game is never over as long as you continue to play. And as long as you don't give up.
        I have yet to see how my season is going to unfold, but I’ve decided to take a page from Jalen’s playbook and trust that God is preparing me now for whatever tomorrow is going to hold.
If I’m being honest I don’t like the bench or the waiting seasons, but perhaps they aren’t really wasted seasons, but rather training for my next victory. So I choose to persevere. And I choose to ready myself for when God calls me into the game, whenever and whatever that might be someday. One of my favorite verses says it best, “Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up” (Galatians 6:9).
        Whether on the field or on the bench, don’t waste your season. Do everything you can to be ready for where God is leading you next. Stay the course. I believe in you!

-Only Hope







Comments