What We Do

I think the hardest situations in my life should be the easiest to believe things will turn out because I know Who holds the future but somehow I continue to lose sight of the fact that my battles are not my own at all.
It was through the unfortunate heartbreak of watching my team lose that I heard a word from the Lord this week. There was a dropped pass or a miscommunication; some sort of mistake and I made a moaning noise indicating I was frustrated with the play. My brother, in his own frustration asked,
"How are you still holding on to hope that we will win?"
I wasn't sure if I really was but without hardly a thought that little phrase echoed through my mind. How are you still holding on to hope?
I mustered my will to really believe it and answered confidently, "Because it's what I do."
I hold on to hope when it probably should have died. I write about hope. My screen saver on my phone displays the word "hope." I admit I am as delusional as they come sometimes, always waiting for the happy ending to drop. I'm like Mary Margaret and David in Once Upon A Time, always believing there's another way. Always hoping the heroes will pull out a victory.
But as much as that is a part of me I think about my walk with the Lord and I wonder if I can say it is true of that. When I wake up and that prayer is still unanswered, that situation is still the same or I wait and wait and wonder what God is up too...do I hold on to unwavering faith? Do I believe He can move my mountains when my climbing gear is worn and tethered? Do I believe all things are possible with God when I've checked out about the outcome ever being different? Do I believe God holds the victory when I'm walking around with a surrendered flag and a defeated outlook?
It's cliche, but do I walk the walk of faith?
I think the hardest situations in my life should be the easiest to believe things will turn out because I know Who holds the future but somehow I continue to lose sight of the fact that my battles are not my own at all
I feel like somebody needs to be reminded not to give up. I know you've been on your knees for a long time, or the odds seem impossible or you've waited a lifetime but don't lose heart. Whatever play unfolds next in our lives, we have to hold on to that hope that we will still win because we will! It is through Christ that we are more than conquerors (Romans 8:37), able to do all things (Philippians 4:13) and expect immeasurably more than we can imagine (Ephesians 3:20)!
Don't give up. Don't be discouraged. Tomorrow is coming and in it holds new mercies. Let it be said of us that believing God can do anything in our lives, our families, our jobs, our regrets, our heartbreaks, our futures, our dreams and our tomorrows, in whatever may come, is just what we do.
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9)
-Only Hope

Comments