Psalm 46:10

The blood that flows through your veins flows through the heart of one whom I have chosen. The rarities that make you one of a kind, My child, are no mere accident or quirk or fate. -From Andy Andrews, The Lost Choice
I honestly can’t remember how this came about exactly, but God and I have a secret communication. Every time I am having a bad day or questioning life or just needing a reminder of God’s presence, He sends a butterfly across my path. Even when it is not “butterfly season,” it never fails—I will see them soaring across the sky. It has become my own personal indication of God’s presence.
I know it doesn’t sound like much, but I am always astounded when I see one flutter across my vision because I know in that moment God is speaking to me. He is saying, “Be still and know I am God” (Psalm 46:10). He is reminding me that He knows what I am going through and He is right beside me. His presence is as gentle as the flapping of delicate wings and as marvelous as the transformation of a caterpillar to a butterfly. More than that, it is always a reminder that I don’t have to do this alone. Sometimes I wonder how I can so easily forget that truth.
As I was l leaving church this week, I had a butterfly moment. My heart was heavy about missed opportunities and wondering where this road in life was taking me; wondering if I would ever be able to do the things my heart longed to do. I sighed and recited a familiar line to God, “What do you want me to do about this (fill in the blank) situation?”
There was no audible answer, but as I pulled out of the church parking lot and into the world, a butterfly flew right across my windshield. I couldn’t remember the last time I had seen one. Suddenly my feelings of insignificance shifted just a bit.
I recently came across one of the most encouraging letters I’ve read. It is kind of long, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that somebody needs to read these words this week. I hope it speaks to someone like it did me. It says:
I made you different from the others. 
On the planet earth, there has never been one like you... and there never will be again. Your spirit, your thoughts and feelings, your ability to reason – all exist in no one else. Your eyes are a masterpiece, incomparable, and windows to a soul that is uniquely yours.
A single strand of your hair has been created especially for you. Of the multitudes who have come before you and the multitudes who may follow, not one of them duplicates the formula which I made you.
I made you different from the others. 
The blood that flows through your veins flows through the heart of one whom I have chosen. The rarities that make you one of a kind, My child, are no mere accident or quirk or fate.
You have been created with the ability to change the world. Every single choice you make… Every single action you take... matters. But remember, the converse is also true. Every choice you do not make.... every action you do not take...matters just as much! Your actions cannot be hoarded, saved for later, or used selectively.
By your hand, millions of lives will be altered, caught up in a chain of events begun by you this very day. But the opposite is true as well. Millions of lives are also altered, caught up in an entirely different chain of events – if you choose to wait. 

You possess the power of choice. Free will. You have been given everything you need to act, but the choice is yours alone. And beginning this very moment, you will choose wisely. 
Now go. And never feel inadequate again. Do not dwell on thoughts of insignificance or wander aimlessly, lost, like a sheep.
You are powerful. You matter. And you've been found
You are my choice.
Your Father.
What beautiful words from a father to his sons; from a Father to His people. This week I realized butterflies exist in multiple forms. You never know what or who will flutter into your pathway and remind you that you are not alone and that you are not insignificant. Recognize the beauty in them when they do and take to heart how much you matter. And take opportunities to soar into others’ lives. You are not alone!
-Only Hope
*The letter in this post came from, you guessed it, Andy Andrew’s, The Lost Choice, pages 229-230.

Comments