Behind the Scenes

I had one of those weeks where nothing seemed to go like I thought; yet God kept talking, like I haven’t heard Him in awhile.
You ever been there?
You’re about ready to throw in the towel on hope and He just won’t leave you alone. And you know what, I’m so glad I serve that kind of God. An active and alive, caring Savior who chases without relent.
An old dream stirred my heart and I wondered if it was even a possibility anymore.
Lord, I whispered. I don’t know if I believe that anymore. I want to, but I just don’t know if I do.
And in the softest response I heard:
That’s okay. I don’t need your belief to work or to make Me powerful. I can do anything, just like that. It’s more a benefit for you and for your heart.
In that minute, I was reminded that God can do anything He wants, but believing that on my end is up to me. Belief exists to change my heart. God is there, waiting in the wings, for us to discover that His promises are good and He isn’t going anywhere. Just because the picture isn’t in focus or we hear silence, doesn’t mean He isn’t up to something. After all, “Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.” (Hebrews 11:1).
I came to love the story of Ruth and Boaz after a Bible study I did a couple years ago. One of the things about the story that sticks out to me the most, still to this day is what happens after Ruth makes a bold choice. It’s Ruth Chapter 3 and at Naomi’s prompting, Ruth has gone to Boaz. She enters the threshing floor and puts all her cards out on the table hoping he will redeem her and give her a future worth looking too. She waits all night only to leave without so much as a clue as to what will happen.
She returns to her mother-in-law discouraged and confused. I can see her now as she hands over the scoops of barley and admits the crop is nice but isn’t quite as romantic as a proposal or a ring. Naomi says the one thing no one wants hear, “Just be patient, my daughter, until we hear what happens” (verse 18).
Kelly Minter, the author of the Bible study book, wrote, “While Naomi and Ruth were in this place of waiting, Boaz was busy at work, reminding me that even while we’re waiting and it seems like nothing is happening, God is still working (Minter 118).”
They had no idea what Boaz was up to or that he was out making arrangements to secure the future. They couldn’t see anything beyond their current situation, but they waited in faith that their Godly obedience would be rewarded. Similarly, God is working behind the scenes for us, even when it doesn’t look like it. We have to hang in there, even when it seems like nothing is happening. God will redeem us. He already has.
Beyond the story of Ruth and Boaz finding one another, God had a plan for the Messiah to come from their family line. Kelly also writes, “When Ruth gave birth to Obed, she had no idea that a ruddy little shepherd boy named David was on the way. She knew nothing about an unparalleled genius named Solomon or any other descendants for that matter. What she knew was faithful obedience and love to God during her earthly years would affect things long after she was gone, even if she never got to see how” (151). Ruth led to Jesus, both in her actions and her bloodline. She couldn’t see what one faithful night on the threshing floor held then, but her story extended far beyond what she could have imagined.
I say this to myself as much as anyone, but stay the course. Drink a spoonful of hope. Go to your threshing floor and wait for God to make a move. You never know what He is up too behind the scenes or where your story will go. Have faith.
-Only Hope

Comments